Monday, February 19, 2007

"shall we talk more intimately?" (rehearsal 5)

My place again, cigarettes yes, beer nope. No liquor store nearby. Oh, wait, there was still one bottle left in the fridge and it went to Brian (because Devlin needs to drink a looooooot). I set up the living room in such a way to make it as close as their actual living room. I told Brian and Gina to start getting used to this environment.

We started out with bumps here and there, especially with Brian's take on Devlin's character. But I let it go most of the time to see the overall look and take notes. Then there were a couple of units that I wanted them to repeat over and over. "Was it much better?" Brian asked every time they were done. "No," I kept saying. I said to him where the problems might have possibly come from. One of them was the very thing about his own personality. Brian is a natural charmer. He's a warm person, you'll feel safe and comfortable around him. Devlin, on the other hand, is rigid and militaristic.

After a break, we did another round, and it was awwwwesome! Both of them nailed it just right! My favorite line of the day was Devlin's "Shall we talk more intimately?" Different from his first take on this line, this time Brian said it in a rigid, coarse tone. So the way he said it contradicted what he said. He got it there!!!

No comments: